Invisalign Treatment and More
Once thought of as "just for teens," orthodontic treatment is now common for every age group. In fact, the American Association of Orthodontist states that one in five orthodontic patients is now over the age of 21. This just goes to show that more adults than ever before are choosing to receieve orthodontic treatment because they understand how important a straighter smile is to their health, not just their appearance.
Common reasons why adults are considering orthodontic treatment:
- A bad bite or malocclusion, causing teeth to fit together incorrectly
- Teeth are crowded or spaced apart, possibly leading to tooth decay or gum disease
- Abnormal jaw pain or pressure that is caused by crooked teeth
- Desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
Treatment Options for Adults
For a majority of adults, the "mouth full of metal" look is enough to disway them from seeking treatment. However, using today's advanced orthodontic treatment options, such as Invisalign and more, Freda & Suriano Orthodontics can offer our patients of all ages braces and appliances that are comfortable and aesthetically pleasing too. Other types of braces include:
- Clear braces
- Ceramic braces
- Self-ligating braces
- Lingual (behind the tooth) braces
- Invisible braces
- Traditional metal braces
The difference between adult orthodontics and orthodontics for children and teens:
A main difference between orthodontic treatment in adults and children or teens is that our younger paitents have a jawbone that is still developing. For adults, the jaw bone has stopped growing, which may make orthognathic surgery possible to align the jawbones. Other differences include:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) — Adults are more likely than children are to experience gum recession or even bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. Patients with straighter teeth are less likely to get gum disease.
- Worn or missing teeth — Due to our diets and other factors, over time our teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt, creating a bad bite and increasing the possibility of gum disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen — Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, but never completed their treatment. As an adult, they choose to complete their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they always wanted.
Freda & Suriano Orthodontics also recognizes that adults and children have different needs, and require a different level of attention and care. For that very reason, we will work with you to ensure that you receive the most appropriate treatments, and that your needs are met with understanding and respect from us.
Why should you consider orthodontic treatment?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth — Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing, and may help prevent other health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence — Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
- Mouths left untreated can get worse — Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it's needed can create long-term health issues costing you more in the end.
For more information on the benefits of adult orthodontic treatment, please contact your top provider of Invisalign at Freda & Suriano Orthodontics today!